Friday, March 21, 2008

Original Owner


Standing in line at Timmie's - a line made longer by the person at one till ordering for everybody back at the shop one item at a time, aka as the large coffee with 1 milk and 2 sweeteners is place on the counter asking for the crueller that person wanted and when that goes in the bag and put on the counter "and a large coffee with 2 milk and 2 sugar" "a double double?" "no, 2 milk and 2 sugars"...and so on. It was a very long list. At the other till was someone from the base ordering the morning coffee round for the ship...Anyway, this is how it goes quite frequently at my Timmie's so I've learned to be there early on the way to work or to be patient. Yeah, okay, I still feel like grabbing the guy's list, doing a quick look over and give a full real order like "3 large, 2 double double, 1 black; 4 extra large .... 3 cruellers, 1 blueberry fritter ..." you get the idea. And as for the guy from the base, hell, there are days I'd pay the freight on their order just cause I'm an old lady and still have a thing for young bucks in uniform.

But, the thing that I was starting off with here is what I saw out the window. Just a quick flash and it took a minute to sink in. There was a beautifully maintained Mustang - A '69 or '68 with a full roof-hood centre racing stripe (which makes me think it's a '68 with the whole Shelby Cobra look happening). Dark green, stripe was orange and a post-production spoiler on the back (I don't remember them being in production before 69-70 but then I was but a mere babe in arms then). What a gorgeous car. And hanging from the rear view mirror - where the baby shoes or fuzzy dice or collection of crystals (if it was a chick's car...y'know sometimes female types drove muscle cars too) would be hanging - was a disability tag.

Yup, and that's how I knew it was the original owner. Fortunately I can say I was too young when the car came out to own or even drive one. Unfortunately I wasn't too young to have a crush on the guys who drove them...

No comments: